With less than 2 weeks to go, we are urging everyone to cast their votes for DWSC.
This is a campaign that we are passionate about winning and ensuring that DWSC is awarded the coveted Club of the Year title. Our members, staff and committee work tirelessly to deliver a club that is ahead of the field, with facilities and services that can’t be beaten.
What you can do to help:
– Cast your vote!
– Use various devices & email addresses (other club’s are promoting this to their members!)
– Share social media campaigns to spread the word – add comments about what you love about DWSC.
– Get friends, families, colleagues etc to vote – it is open to anyone, they don’t have to be members or even sailors.
The perfect storm of activity
A weekend early in January wouldn’t normally be one of what we call a busy weekend, but last weekend a combination of events changed that:
– a very wet autumn has lead to the reservoir being at 97% full, taking out any foreshore leaving restricted room for boats ashore
– a mild January is seeing some of the best club racing turnouts we have seen for many a month and our youth and junior Topper squad is going from strength to strength.
We had the IOCA squad in the diary and then due to some booking errors moved a Feva squad forward a week and added a Topper 4.2 fleet to get them out of trouble. All in all not a massive number of visitors at 45 boats. The club house was re arranged, training rooms set up and welcome note and instructions for visitors were emailed out and printed off.
Saturday was a fantastic day with high winds: the rescue boats and coaches were busy keeping an eye on the training and providing safety for a Sprint 15 open. The wetbar was making up for the quiet period over Christmas and the bar had enough customers to warrant real ale back in the pumps!!!
Sunday morning was a squeeze to get onsite and Severn Trent’s January 10k fun run didn’t make it any easier.
Club racing offered two great races and all the training fleets got a second day of training in and once again the wetbar and bar were operating at full speed. We can’t say it was completely trouble free and car parking on Sunday morning was difficult for which we appreciate the members’ patience.
We have had some suggestions and we are looking in to how we can improve the use of the car parks without investing heavily to cope on the very rare perfect storms.