The summer series arrived with a bang with gusts up to force 10 recorded on Sunday 29th March – the first day of the summer series and then a whimper on Easter Sunday with hardly any wind.
The first Wednesday evening racing (1st April) was a cold and windy affair, but over 20 boats raced and the bar was buzzing afterwards as usual.
Renewals Flood In
Membership renewals have flooded in and Sylvia is desperately trying to process them all. If you intend to renew, but haven’t yet, please do so quickly before the late renewal admin fee starts getting charged.
If you have decided not to renew, it would be helpful to know, and even more helpful to understand why. If you haven’t already told us and would like to, please feel free to e-mail email@example.com
When you renew, membership cards / fobs will automatically be renewed. Car stickers and windsurf pennants will be available for collection from the office / waterside reception. Boat stickers are being delayed pending the boat park being re-labelled and you will be notified when these will be available for collection.
Your Help Required
As you know, we are an amateur Club, run by volunteers. While we have some excellent paid staff, the bulk of the work for the Club is by volunteers and we need the help of members in a few ways:
- Getting new members: As a Club, we need more members. The best advocates for the Club are our existing members, so please try to help the Club by introducing your friends and colleagues. Specifically we have a Club Open Day on Saturday 16th May. This is part of both the RYA Push the Boat Out week and Warwickshire’s Big Day Out.
The Club is open to the public from 11am to 4pm on this day and there will be opportunities for people to be taken sailing free of charge.
For this we need help in lots of ways:
- People to distribute / display leaflets at places of work, where you live, public buildings etc
- People suggesting to their friends and colleagues that they should come and try sailing / windsurfing (if they join on this day, the joining fee will be waived)
- People to help on the day, on shore or on the water
If you can help beforehand (distributing leaflets) and / or on the day, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helping with other activities: There are a number of activities that we do which need more volunteers, including:
Youth & Junior activities: More helpers are required on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings to encourage our junior members at both sailing and windsurfing. Please see Dave Rowe if you can help (email@example.com)
Get Racing: This is our programme to encourage novices and juniors to join in racing on Sundays. On the first Sunday of each month there is a coached session for them. This was extremely successful in 2014, run by Elizabeth & Tim Fillmore, but we need more people to run these sessions in 2015 to spread the workload. Please contact Jeremy Atkins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bank Holiday Task Force: Our bank holiday pursuit races appear to be less popular than they were and, although the fleet captains feel that something should be done about them, none of them are able to spare the time to progress this. We are therefore appealing to the wider membership to see if anyone would like to help try to boost activity at the Club on bank holidays. Please contact Will Whittaker (email@example.com)